Muna Kalati is recruiting a Bilingual Program Officer for a full time contract for a period of one year. He/she will be responsible for the supervision and implementation of Muna Kalati’s documentation and advocacy programs, notably the production and dissemination of knowledge about children’s books in Africa. The aim is to increase the visibility and recognition of Muna Kalati as an informational leader in the book industry and to make the association a reference point for access to credible, comprehensive and timely information on practices and trends in the book industry. He/she should be familiar with literary events and maintain contacts with other literary associations, libraries, networks etc. He or she will work closely with the Communications Officer and the Programs Manager.
Environment of the position
Although there is a field team based in Dschang, most of the collaboration is done online as the team is spread over the African continent and Europe. The position requires a good command of online collaboration tools, a team spirit and ability to take initiative.
Primary Duties – Research and Documentation Programs
- Develop and implement a strategic plan integrating the annual program of activities and events of the Association (MK Talks, Reading for Pleasure workshops, Reading for Healing etc.) in collaboration with the team;
- Contribute to the search for funding and the drafting of applications;
- Organize the monthly Muna Kalati Talks webinars with the actors of the children’s book industry, from the identification of the panelists to the writing of the minutes;
- Supervise the production and distribution of Muna Kalati quarterly magazine in collaboration with the cultural mediation program manager;
- To coordinate and work towards the expansion of the network of youth book professionals, which brings together authors, publishers, booksellers, parents and African youth book specialists.
- Develop and update database on the children’s book industry in Africa. This will involve developing database on:
- African children’s book authors: list of writers, illustrators, cartoonists and other creators of content for youth in Africa.
- African organizations working to promote reading.
- Bookstores, libraries and reading centres;
- Children’s publishing houses in Africa;
- Literary prizes on children’s books in Africa.
- Any other database necessary to increase the visibility of the actors of the youth book in Africa.
- Produce at least 2 informative or educational articles on children’s book issues;
- Assist the Program Coordinator in managing the network of Muna Kalati Content Creators to ensure regular production of content on children’s books.
- Collaborate with the Communications Officer for the effective dissemination of activities and programs on social media and via MK newsletter;
- Facilitate learning and exchange of best practices among team members through Smart Sessions, Muna Kalati Sabitou, to increase team performance.
- Any other duties as required.
The candidate must be reactive, highly organized and productive. His/her creativity allows him/her to respond to the different problems that are asked of him/her. He/she must also have the basics in the use of digital collaboration tools (Google Drive, Slack, Dropbox, WordPress etc.):
- Hold at least a Bachelor’s degree in book-related professions, in education, literature, cultural industries.
- Very good time management skills, proactivity and ability to work in a team with minimal supervision.
- Excellent administrative skills and experience in managing cultural projects, particularly those involving books.
- Autonomous, versatile, good interpersonal skills.
- Basic command of the French language.
- Know how to use LinkedIn, Google Suite (Slides, form) or WordPress and Google Alert to establish a digital watch around the association’s themes.
- Knowledge in the cultural field, journalism, blogging or marketing.
Duration of the Contract
- 1 year (renewable if satisfactory performance)
- Full time and remote.
- Competitive Salary.
14 December 2021 at 23:59; applications must be sent simultaneously to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com